JOB TITLE:Economic Assistant
DEPARTMENT:Department Of Labor
AGENCY:Bureau of Labor Statistics
|$15.00 to $20.38 / Per Hour|
|Tuesday, January 07, 2014 to Tuesday, January 14, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Part-Time - Permanent|
|few vacancies in the following location:|
Fort Myers, FL
WHO MAY APPLY:
|U.S. Citizens; ICTAP and CTAP eligibles in the local commuting area.|
|Q - Nonsensitive|
For more information about DOL’s mission, activities, and careers, please visit our website at: http://www.dol.gov/.
This position is located with the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Office of Field Operations, Division of Price Programs, Branch of Consumer Price Index. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) is the principal fact-finding agency for the Federal Government in the broad field of labor economics and statistics. It has a dual role as the statistical arm of the Department of Labor and as an independent national statistical agency that collects, processes, analyzes, and disseminates sensitive economic and statistical data to the American public, Congress, other Federal agencies, State and local governments, business, and labor.
- U.S. Citizenship
- Selective Service Registration
- Appointment to this position may require a background investigation.
- Requires a valid drivers license.
Department Of Labor
As an Economic Assistant, you will collect prices and related statistical data on a wide variety of commodities, services, and housing for the BLS Consumer Price Index. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Visiting retail and service establishments such as department stores, supermarkets, medical offices and hotels to collect retail price data. A limited amount of data is collected by telephone/fax;
- Obtaining voluntary cooperation from survey respondents;
- Conducting face-to-face and telephonic interviews with store managers and buyers, doctors, pharmacists and other professionals to obtain data related to their commodities and services;
- Using hand held computers and other electronic equipment to collect and enter statistical data;
- Contacting homeowners, renters, apartment management companies by personal visit to neighborhoods and follow up telephone interviews.